Parent Organization: University of New Hampshire
The purpose of the Waysmeet Student Association is to provide spiritual nurturance of UNH students. We seek to provide fellowship for students of all denominations as well as those students who have no religious background but are looking for a place to begin their spiritual journeys help us with activity and outreach to students.
Our mission is to support and empower the individual and community by creating spaces for communion, service, and social justice. We do this by alleviating the impacts of material, emotional, and spiritual poverty through direct service, education, community building, fostering dialogue and by providing witness, sanctuary, and support. Our vision is to create engaged citizen leaders who will honor the complexities of the human spirit and work to create just and sustainable communities.
Our Guiding Principles: The Five E’s of Waysmeet!
- Education: Offering opportunities to engage with and learn from multiple religious, spiritual, and cultural traditions. We champion collaborative and experiential learning through a variety of mediums including: Drum Circles, Sacred Dance Circles, concerts, reading groups, lectures, trainings…and the list goes on!
- Experience: Creating opportunities to be of service and to nurture and develop leadership skills through direct service opportunities, volunteer opportunities, program development, and internships. These include: working with The Cornucopia Food Pantry, monthly and semester outreach and service projects, internships, organizing community dinners, and leading services in local spiritual communities.
- Engagement: Waysmeet provides outlets, encouragement, and support to those who engage in the important work of social justice, community organizing, advocacy, activism, and spiritual, social, and emotional development. We accomplish this through partnerships with student organizations, UNH departments and offices, and community organizations. Waysmeet works on issues locally, nationally, and globally. From community dinners, to working with the Committee on Rights and Justice (Immigration and Refugee Issues), Waysmeet provides ways to critically engage with and have a meaningful impact on the world.
- Exploration: Waysmeet provides a physical, intellectual, and heart space for exploring your own identity, gifts, and potential. It is a place to discover, understand, and celebrate the value and importance of diversity in every aspect of our lives. Waysmeet creates space for exploration through small groups, personal and group guidance and spiritual counseling, classes, and the Waysmeet residential community.
- Enlightenment: Waysmeet believes in providing encouragement, affirmation, and nourishment to the spiritual, emotional, intellectual, and social gifts and growth of every person. Waysmeet aims to support everyone’s unique process of self-evolution through each of the E’s listed and by providing witness to meaningful events and passages for individuals and for the community, through offering spiritual direction and mentoring, vocational guidance, and providing diverse resources for spiritual development.
Community Dinners promote sustainability and ease hunger in our community! Come and enjoy a delicious, healthy, vegan and vegetarian meal with other folks in the community. This event is co-sponsored by the UNH Organic Gardening Club, Waysmeet Center, and the Cornucopia Food Pantry.
Donations of food are always welcome, and volunteers are welcome, too, from 2:30pm on every second Friday of the month!
Come join us for a delicious pasta supper and drum circle experience! Come and listen, come and play! African-style drums and music makers are provided. Food and volunteers are always welcome the day of from 2:00 pm on every frist Friday of the month!
We meet on: